Whether you are working in an office or remotely, you may no longer be able to provide services face-to-face at your agency under the guidelines of the CDC during the COVID-19 outbreak. These best practices support you to continue serving people with disabilities while protecting yourself and them.
Why is it needed?
Limiting transmission of COVID-19 is vital for the health and safety of everyone. It is important to protect not only yourself and those you care about during the COVID-19 outbreak, but those whom you service – the most underserved people with disabilities across the country.
How Does it Work?
Follow CDC recommendations during the COVID-19 Outbreak. If services are no longer provided on a face-to-face basis at your agency, use best practices around remote work and learning, telecounseling, and other recommended practices for vocational rehabilitation professionals.
Tips for Success
Every state has different rules for telecounseling and other counseling activities. Reach out to your state board for information regarding your state’s compliance rules. Also see general information on HIPAA compliance.
Want to know more about how this employment strategy can be incorporated into your work? Check out these resources:
Watch webcasts to gain valuable information that will help improve employment outcomes and quality of employment for people you serve.
- New Hampshire COVID Response: Manage Resources and Avoid Scams
- Client Engagement in a Virtual Environment
- Meeting the Challenges of Going Virtual
- Ethics and Self-Care: Learn how self-care concepts relate to professional performance, to colleagues within the work setting, and to the ethical provision of rehabilitation counseling services.
- Explore upcoming webinars: Trainings on innovative strategies VRs are using to provide services during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Collaborative Partnerships: Strategies for CRPs on Pre-Employment Transition Services.
Selected Tools and Resources
These tools and resources offer information to support your practice.
- COVID-19 Resources: COVID-19 Resources for VR professionals, people with disabilities, and the general public.
- Telecounseling Resource Collection: Tools for working with clients if or when services can no longer be provided on a face-to-face basis.
- Distance Service Delivery Resources: COVID-19 Resources for Distance Service Delivery
- WIOA Concerns: Rehabilitation Services Administration’s Q&As to address title I of WIOA concerns as state vocational rehabilitation agencies seek to provide continuity of operations for individuals with disabilities during the #COVID19 pandemic.
- Microsoft Accessibility Blog: What the Disability Community Can Teach Us About Working Remotely.
Project E3’s research summaries provide an “At-a-Glance” overview the latest research findings, as well as recommendations for best practices and how to incorporate them in your work.
Strategy Use in Targeted Communities
All of the Project E3 Targeted Communities implemented COVID-19 Best Practices: